Penélope Cruz Sánchez – Latest events in her Career:
OSCARS 2009 Winner of best Actress in a Supporting Role Penelope Cruz for Vicky Cristina Barcelona (2008)
In 2008, she starred in Woody Allen’s Vicky Cristina Barcelona as María Elena, Javier Bardem’s mentally-unstable ex-wife. Her performance has received much praise, and many critics also predicted she might get an Oscar for the role. On January 22nd, 2009, she indeed received a nomination and subsequently won for Best Supporting Actress, making her the only Spanish Oscar nominee of 2008 and the second Spanish actor to win an Academy Award, a year after her boyfriend, Javier Bardem, won for No Country for Old Men.
In May 2007, it was announced that Penélope and her sister Mónica would be designing a 25-piece collection for the Barcelona-based fashion chain, Mango. On July 7, 2007, Cruz presented at Live Earth. In late 2007, she starred in the Jaume de Laiguana-directed video for her brother’s first single, named “Cosas que contar”, along with her friend Mía Maestro and her sister Mónica. Cruz had previously shown a keen interest in fashion and is a model for L’Oreal and its “Telescopic” mascara. In July 2007, the British Advertising Standards Authority rapped L’Oréal for a television advert on its “Telescopic” mascara, featuring Penélope Cruz, for failing to state that the model was wearing false eyelashes.
For Cruz, the early 2000s were a period of mediocre reviews and mixed commercial success. In late 2001, she appeared in the film Vanilla Sky, the Hollywood remake of Abre los ojos. In 2006, she co-starred with her best friend, Salma Hayek, in the film Bandidas. That same year, Cruz received highly favourable reviews for her performance in Pedro Almodóvar’s Volver. She shared a Best Actress award at the Cannes Film Festival with five of her co-stars, and was nominated for the Golden Globe, the Screen Actors Guild Award, the BAFTA Award, and the Academy Award for Best Actress in a leading role. The latter of these nominations made her the first Spanish actress to be nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actress.
Cruz’s first major films were Jamón, jamón and Belle Époque, a film which won an Academy Award for Foreign Language Film. In 1997, she starred as Sofía Pangia, alongside Eduardo Noriega in Abre los ojos, directed by Alejandro Amenábar, while in 1999 she appeared in Pedro Almodóvar’s Todo sobre mi madre (All About My Mother), which also won an Academy Award for Foreign Language Film. In 2000 she appeared with Matt Damon in All the Pretty Horses.
Latest event in her personal life
In April 2007 Cruz, who was single at the time, stated that she would like to have children one day and she feels the need to adopt. “Of course I want to have kids,” Cruz, 34, told the Spanish edition of Marie Claire in its April issue. “I want to have my own kids, but also adopt. For a while I’ve had the feeling that my life won’t be complete if I don’t adopt”.
After filming Sahara in February 2005, she began dating actor Matthew McConaughey. In May 2006, they released a joint statement to People, saying that they “have decided to take time off as a couple.” Later that year they announced that they were “no longer intimate and separating was the best thing to do at this time”. She has been dating Spanish actor Javier Bardem since 2007; the two appeared together in Jamón, Jamón, Live Flesh and 2008’s Vicky Cristina Barcelona.
After appearing in the 2001 film Vanilla Sky with Tom Cruise, they had a three-year relationship which ended in January 2004. During that time, she and Cruise were seen visiting several Church of Scientology locations in Hollywood, and there was published speculation that Cruise had convinced Cruz to join the church.
Cruz claims to be a vegetarian since 2000, though this fact is disputed. She speaks four languages: Spanish, Italian, French and English. Cruz has also donated a considerable amount of money and time to charity. In 1997 she volunteered in Uganda for two months.
Penélope Cruz Sánchez (born April 28, 1974), better known as Penélope Cruz, is a Spanish actress. She gathered critical acclaim as a young actress for films such as Jamón, Jamón, La Niña de tus ojos, and Belle époque. She has also starred in several American films such as Blow, Vanilla Sky, and Bandidas.
Cruz has been awarded three Goyas, two European Film Awards, the Golden Palm for Best Actress, and a BAFTA. In 2009, she won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress and a BAFTA for her role in Vicky Cristina Barcelona.
Penelope Cruz Sanchez was born April 28, 1974 in Alcobendas, Madrid, Spain. As a toddler, she was already a compulsive performer, re-enacting TV commercials for her family’s amusement. Initially, Cruz decided to focus on dance. After studying classical ballet for nine years at Spain’s National Conservatory, she continued her training under a series of prominent dancers. She received three years of Spanish Ballet training with Ángela Garrido. She also had jazz dance training with Raúl Caballero and studied at Cristina Rota (mother of Juan Diego Botto) school in Madrid. At 15, however, she followed another calling after beating more than 300 other girls at a talent agency audition.
Cruz has a younger brother, Eduardo, a singer, and a younger sister, Mónica, who closely resembles her: a similarity exploited for some Spanish TV ads. In the 2000s, Mónica left her dancing career and achieved note on her own in the youth-oriented TV series Un Paso Adelante.
Movies she appeared since 2000
- 2000 All the Pretty Horses Alejandra
Woman on Top Isabella Oliveira
- 2001 Blow Mirtha Jung
Don’t Tempt Me Carmen Ramos Bendito infierno
Captain Corelli’s Mandolin Pelagia
Vanilla Sky Sofia Serrano
- 2002 Waking up in Reno Brenda
- 2003 Fanfan la tulipe Adeline La Franchise
Gothika Chloe Sava
- 2004 Head in the Clouds Mia
Don’t Move Italia Non ti muovere
Noel Nina Vasquez
- 2005 Sahara Eva Rojas
- 2006 Chromophobia Gloria
Bandidas María Álvarez
Volver Raimunda Nominated — Academy Award for Best Actress in a Leading Role
Won — Critics Choice Award
Nominated — Golden Globe Award
Won — Screen Actors Guild Award
Won — Goya Award
- 2007 The Good Night Anna
Manolete Antoñita “Lupe” Sino
- 2008 Elegy Consuela Castillo
Vicky Cristina Barcelona María Elena Won — Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress
Won — BAFTA Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role
Won — Goya Award
Nominated — Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress – Motion Picture
Nominated — Critics Choice Award
Nominated — Screen Actors Guild Award
- 2009 G-Force Juarez (voice) post-production
Broken Embraces Magdalena Los abrazos rotos in production
Nine Carla in production
Awards and nominations of Penelope Cruz
* 2007 Nominated Academy Award Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role for: Volver (2006)
* 2009 Won Academy Award Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role for: Vicky Cristina Barcelona (2008)
* 2007 Nominated BAFTA Award Best Actress in a Leading Role for: Volver (2006)
* 2009 Won BAFTA Award Best Supporting Actress for: Vicky Cristina Barcelona (2008)
Golden Globe Awards
* 2006 Nominated Golden Globe Best Actress in a Dramatic Role for: Volver (2006)
* 2008 Nominated Golden Globe Best Actress in a Supporting Role for: Vicky Cristina Barcelona (2008)
Screen Actors Guild Awards
* 2006 Nominated SAG Award Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role for: Volver (2006)
* 2008 Nominated SAG Award Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role for: Vicky Cristina Barcelona (2008)
Independent Spirit Awards
* 2008 Won IS Award Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role for: Vicky Cristina Barcelona (2008)
* 1992 Nominated Goya Best Lead Actress (Mejor Actriz Principal) for: Jamón, jamón (1992)
* 1998 Won Goya Best Lead Actress (Mejor Actriz Principal) for: La Niña de tus ojos (1998)
* 2004 Nominated Goya Best Lead Actress (Mejor Actriz Principal) for: Non ti muovere (2004)
* 2006 Won Goya Best Lead Actress (Mejor Actriz Principal) for: Volver (2006)
* 2008 Won Goya Best Supporting Actress (Mejor Actriz de Reparto) for: Vicky Cristina Barcelona (2008)
Spanish Actors Union
* 1992 Nominated Newcomer Award for: Jamón, jamón (1992)
* 1992 Won Award of the Spanish Actors Union Film: Supporting Performance (Secundario Cine) for: Belle Époque (1992)
* 1997 Nominated Award of the Spanish Actors Union Film: Performance in a Minor Role (Reparto Cine) for: Carne trémula (1997)
* 1998 Won Award of the Spanish Actors Union Film: Lead Performance (Protagonista Cine) for: La Niña de tus ojos (1998)
* 2006 Won Award of the Spanish Actors Union Film: Lead Performance (Protagonista Cine) for: Volver (2007)
Fotogramas de Plata
* 1998 Won Fotogramas de Plata Best Movie Actress (Mejor Actriz de Cine) for: La Niña de tus ojos (1998)
* 2006 Won Fotogramas de Plata Best Movie Actress (Mejor Actriz de Cine) for: Volver (2006)
Cannes International Film Festival – To the female ensemble cast
* 2006 Won Cannes Award Best Actress for: Volver (2006) award shared with Carmen Maura; Lola Dueñas; Blanca Portillo; Yohana Cobo; Chus Lampreave
Santa Barbara International Film Festival
* 2008 Won Award like Outstanding Performer of the Year Award for: Elegy and Vicky Cristina Barcelona
David di Donatello Awards
* 2004 Won David Best Actress (Migliore Attrice Protagonista) for: Non ti muovere (2004)
European Film Awards
* 1998 Nominated European Film Award Best Actress for: La Niña de tus ojos (1998)
* 2001 Nominated Audience Award Best Actress for: Captain Corelli’s Mandolin (2001)
* 2003 Nominated Audience Award Best Actress for: Fanfan la tulipe (2003)
* 2004 Nominated European Film Award Best Actress for: Non ti muovere (2004)
* 2004 Won Audience Award Best Actress for: Non ti muovere (2004)
* 2006 Won European Film Award Best Actress for: Volver (2006)
Golden Satellite Awards
* 2008 Nominated Satellite Award Best Actress in a Supporting Role for: Elegy (2008)
* 2006 Nominated Satellite Award Best Actress in a Dramatic Role for: Volver (2006)
* 1998 Nominated ALMA Award Outstanding Actress in a Feature Film for: The Hi-Lo Country (1998)
* 2001 Nominated ALMA Award Outstanding Actress in a Motion Picture for: Vanilla Sky (2001)
Blockbuster Entertainment Awards
* 2000 Nominated Blockbuster Entertainment Award Favorite Actress – Drama/Romance for: All the Pretty Horses (2000)
Imagen Foundation Awards
* 2003 Creative Achievement Award
MTV Movie Awards
* 2001 Nominated MTV Movie Award Breakthrough Female Performance for: Blow (2001)
NAACP Image Awards
* 2006 Nominated NAACP Image Award Outstanding Actress in a Motion Picture for: Volver (2006)
* 1992 Won Ondas Film Award Best Acting (Mejor Interpretación) tied with Javier Bardem (no award category given officially).
Peñíscola Comedy Film Festival
* 1994 Won Best Actress for: Todo es mentira (1994)
* 2001 Nominated Razzie Award Worst Actress for: Blow (2001), Captain Corelli’s Mandolin (2001) and Vanilla Sky (2001)
- mary padian boyfriend
Penélope Cruz Sánchez [peˈnelope ˈkruθ] (* 28. April 1974 in Alcobendas) ist eine spanische Schauspielerin und Oscar -Preisträgerin. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Leben Penélope Cruz, Actress: Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. Known outside her native country as the "Spanish enchantress", Penélope Cruz Sánchez was born : e 2009, had really made it. Previously, she'd only been one of the most famous actresses in the world. Aside from her cinematic output Tags: penelope, cruz, biography, talktalk, Penelope Cruz | Biography | (born Sanchez, 28.4.1974) is a Spanish actress who has successfully made the transition into mainstream Hollywood films. Pictures, , Movies & TV Shows, News, s